Robust Spaghetti Bolognese
A full flavoured take on the traditional Spag’ Bol’ with an extra flavour boost from delicious sundried tomato strips and Kalamata wedges. Served with Spaghetti and finished with shaved Parmesan.
Cooking Time: 2 hours. Preparation time 30 minutes. Makes: 4-6 serves
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 kg beef mince
- 2 x 400g cans crushed tomatoes or 3 cups tomato passata
- 3 cups (500ml) low salt beef stock
- 1 cup red wine (optional)
- 1 tsp dark brown sugar
- 1 200g jar Always Fresh sundried tomato strips
- ½ cup Always Fresh Kalamata wedges
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tbsps chopped fresh oregano leaves or 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tbsps fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3 tbsps chopped parsley
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 300g uncooked spaghetti or pasta of your choice
- extra virgin olive oil to drizzle
- flat leaf parsley leaves
- shaved parmesan
- extra Always Fresh pitted Kalamata olives
- Use a large deep sauté or large frying pan over medium heat. Add the oil and onion then cook for 6-8 minutes or until the onion starts to soften and change colour.
- Add the garlic and cook for a few more seconds until it becomes fragrant.
- Turn the heat to medium high, add the mince and cook for 6-7 minutes, until it starts to brown (the colour adds flavour), breaking up any lumps with a wooden spoon.
- Deglaze the pan with the red wine if your using it (or a little of the beef stock) and cook for a few seconds stirring all the time, followed by the tomato, sundried tomatoes, stock, bay leaves, herbs and the finally the sugar. Stir to combine. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered stirring occasionally for at least 1 hour or until thick and glossy.
- Stir in the olives and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cook the pasta following the manufactures instructions for al dente. Drain and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
- Stir the pasta through the hot sauce and serve in one big bowl for sharing, topped with parsley leaves and shaved Parmesan.
- Serve with crusty bread and a mixed salad.