Parmesan and Herb Risotto
Easy, vegetarian risotto, featuring Riviana Arborio rice, vegetable stock, onion and the rich flavours of sundried tomato, pepper strips, fresh herbs all finished with pitted Kalamata olives.
Cooking Time: 30 minutes. Preparation time 10 minutes. Makes: 4 serves
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 50g butter coarsely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 cups of Riviana Arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups vegetable stock (hot)
- 1 220g jar Always Fresh sundried tomato strips – drained
- 2/3 cup of Always Fresh pepper strips
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- ½ cup finely chopped parsley (packed)
- ¼ cup torn basil leaves (optional)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup Always Fresh pitted Kalamata olives (optional)
- Heat oil and half the butter in a sauté pan or wide shallow casserole over medium heat. Add onion and stir occasionally until very soft and just starting to colour (about 4-5 minutes).
- Add the garlic stir for another minute until fragrant.
- Add rice, stirring to coat in the butter and oil, and cook for about 1 minute.
- Turn the heat up to high and pour in the wine, stir occasionally until almost totally evaporated.
- Turn down the heat to medium low and pour in enough of the hot stock just cover the rice (about 2 thirds of the stock) stirring continuously until stock is absorbed.
- Add the sundried tomatoes and pepper strips.
- Add the rest of the stock, a ladle at a time until all used. Cook until rice is just al dente stirring occasionally (about 15 minutes),
- Remove from heat, and leave to stand covered for 2-3 minutes.
- Beat in the Parmesan, two thirds of the parsley, basil (if your using it) olives and remaining butter until combined and creamy.
- Season to taste, plate up and scatter with remaining parsley and maybe a drizzle of olive oil.
- Serve immediately.