Karen Martini’s Moroccan Salad
- 4 medium sized carrots, peeled
- 1 tsp coriander seed
- 1 tsp salt plus extra
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3-4 dates, pitted and diced into 6
- 1 fresh green chilli, finely chopped with the seeds in
- 40mls of virgin oil
- 2 lemons -1 juiced and 1 segmented
- 2 x 50g packets Always Fresh Salad Olives
- 14 bunch of mint leaves, finely chopped
- 14 bunch parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1 x 95g can of tuna in oil, drained
- Slice carrots on the angle about 2.5 cm wide
- Add the coriander seeds, 2 tsp salt and carrots to a saucepan of water and bring to the boil. Cook until tender (about 15 – 20 minutes)
- Drain the carrots and toss them in the juice of one lemon and 80mls of extra virgin olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and leave to stand for 15 minutes.
- Gently stir through the dates, chillies and lemon segments.
- Toss through the olives at the last minute.
- Arrange the salad on large share plate or bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the mint and parsley.
- Gently break the tuna in large chunks and toss through the herbs to coat and serve to the side of the salad.
The sweetness of the carrots cooked with the spices and the fresh dates work wonderfully. The zing of lemon and the zap of heat from the green chilli makes this dish a pack a punch.
Tossing the carrots into the seasoned oil and lemon while hot allows the flavors to infuse the carrots and enhance their natural flavor.
Carrots never tasted to good.