Beef Pies with Jalapeno Chilli Relish
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 cup Always Fresh Jalapeno Chilli Relish
• 500g beef, cut into 2cm cubes
• 2 medium brown onions, chopped coarsely
• 80g Always Fresh Champignons Peices & Stems, drained
• 1 cup Always Fresh Spice Tomato Relish
• ½ cup (125ml) red wine
• 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
• ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
• 2 cups (500ml) beef stock
• 1 tablespoon cornflour, mixed with 1 tablespoon of water
• 1 cup water
• ½ cup Always Fresh Sundried Tomatoes, roughly chopped
• salt and pepper
• ¼ cup coarsely chopped parsley
• 6 sheets savoury short crust pastry
• 1 egg, beaten lightly
Heat half the oil in a large frying pan, cook beef until browned; remove from pan. In same pan heat remaining oil, add onion and mushrooms; cook until onion is soft.
Add jalapeno chilli relish, cook for a minute, stirring. Add wine and bring to the boil, then add thyme, Worcestershire sauce and beef stock. Bring to a boil and return beef to pan.
Reduce heat to a simmer and cook with lid on for 1½ hours or until meat is tender. Remove lid and simmer until sauce is reduced by half. Add cornflour mixture and water, chopped semi dried tomatoes and bring back to a boil to thicken. Season with salt and pepper. Add parsley and leave to cool.
Pre-heat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced). Lightly grease a 6-hole texas muffin tray.
For the base of the pies use the short crust pastry. Cut 6 rounds large enough to line the base and sides. Ease into muffin tins; press into sides. Trim edges.
Cover the pastry with baking paper and blind bake using beans or rice. Bake in oven for 15 minutes. Remove baking paper and bake for further 5 minutes or until pastry is lightly browned; cool.
For the top of the pie, cut 6 rounds of pastry large enough to cover the tops of the pies. Divide beef mixture among pastry cases, top with prepared pastry rounds, press the edges together to seal; trim if necessary. Brush tops with egg wash.
Bake for about 25 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.