Basic Pizza Dough
Perfect for all of your favourite pizzas
Makes: 750g of dough enough for 4 x 24cm pizzas
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1¼ teaspoons sugar
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil, plus extra, for greasing
- 475g ‘strong’ (bread flour or 00 flour) plain flour plus a little extra
- 1¼ teaspoons salt
- In a small bowl, mix the lukewarm water, yeast and sugar together until combined, then leave in a warm place for 5 minutes or until frothy.
- If using a bench top mixer with a dough hook. Simply add all the ingredients into the mixer bowl and turn the power on low add the yeast mixture in a steady stream and process for about 3 to 4 minutes until an elastic dough forms.
- If you’re making it by hand, stir the olive oil into the yeast foam. Sift the flour and salt together into a large bowl. Making a hollow in the flour mix and use your hands to bring the mixture together to form a dough.
- For both methods turn the dough out onto a work surface and use the heel of your hands to work the dough for 5 minutes until it is smooth and elastic. Lightly grease the inside of a clean dry bowl with oil and add the dough cover with cling wrap and leave in a warm (not hot) place to raise for 45–60 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Dust a clean work surface lightly with the extra flour and tip out the dough.
- Use your fists to knead and work the dough to let any air out. Separate the dough into 4 portions and then kneading and working each portion separately form them into 4 balls.
- Place the dough balls on a baking tray lined with bake, cover with cling film and leave in a warm place to prove and raise for another 15 minutes.
- Roll out, add your favourite topping and bake in a hot preheated oven at 220°C for 15-20 minutes.