Colourful Mediterranean inspired tarts, with sheets of puff pastry, generously smothered in a mixture of caramelised onion relish, pepper strips, sliced tomatoes, anchovy fillets and fresh herbs. Great as an appetiser or light meal.
Cooking Time: 20 minutes. Preparation Time 10 minutes Makes: 4 serves as a main or 8 as an entree.
- 3 sheets of good quality frozen puff pastry.
- 1 beaten egg
- 2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil and extra for drizzling
- 1 330g jar Always fresh roasted whole peppers drained and sliced
- 1 45g tin Always Fresh Anchovy fillets in olive oil drained and roughly chopped
- 1 235g pot Always Fresh caramelised onion relish
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- freshly ground black pepper
- 11/2 punnet cherry tomatoes or coloured heirloom tomatoes sliced
- ½ cup washed packed basil leaves
- Pre heat oven to 190oC
- Place the 2 of the defrosted puff pastry sheets on 2 oven trays lined with baking paper.
- Cut the 3rd sheet into 8 thin strips brush with water and place on the very edge of the other 2 sheets. Brush the raised borders with beaten egg. Brush the centre of the tart with a little olive oil.
- In a bowl mix the peppers, anchovies, garlic and thyme, mix well and spread generously round the pastry sheets inside the raised borders. Top with dollops of onion relish.
- Transfer the tarts to the oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes until the pastry is well risen and golden and the topping has slightly caramelised.
- Serve hot scattered with sliced heirloom tomatoes and fresh basil leaves.